Sunday 7 June 2015

Hamlet - Act One


Scene 1. Elsinore Castle. The flatform of the guard.
(Enter Bernardo and Francisco, two Sentinels from oppose directions.)
Bernardo.   : Who's there?
Francisco.  : Nay, answer me. Stand and unfold yourself.
Bernardo.   : Long live the King!
Francisci.   : Bernardo?
Bernardo.   : He.
Francisco.  : You come most carefully upon your hour.
Bernardo.   : Tis now struck twelve. Get thee to bed, Francisco.
Francisco.  : For his relief much thanks. Tis bitter cold, and I am sick at heart.
Bernardo.  : Have you had quiet guard?
Francisco.  : Not a mouse strirring
Bernardo.   : Well, good night. If you meet Horation and Marcellus, the rivals of my watch, bid them make haste.
(Enter Horatio and Marcellus)
Francisco.  : I think I hear them. Stand! Who's there?
Horatio.       : Friends to this ground.
Marcellus.  : And liegemen to the Dane.
Francisco.  : Give you good night.
Marcellus.  : O, farewell, honest soldier. Who hath relieved you?
Francisco.  : Bernardo hath my place. Give you good night. (Leaves)

No comments:

Post a Comment